Saturday, June 25, 2011

The nest boxes are in. Let the egg laying begin.

The chickens will be 16-weeks-old tomorrow, so I figured I better get some nest boxes in before they start laying and get in the habit of laying them on the floor. Although, if they feel like laying on the floor, the boxes won't matter. Chickens have a mind of their own. I think they turned out pretty good, but I just about screwed up and couldn't get the assembled unit into the part of the coop where I installed it. One of those "Oh Sh#&" moments.

It was threatening rain today, so I worked on the covered front porch.

I used 1/2-inch plywood for the bottom, sides and back.

Here's the tight fit. If I hadn't been able to get it in, I could have removed a couple of the strips holding the chicken wire on, and it would have went in for sure.

Adding the partitions to make three separate boxes. I used the same thin plywood for the partitions, the roof and the front lip, that I used on the inside walls of the coop.

Next the roof.

The finished product. Although, I will add some type of perch in front to make it easier for them to get in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment