Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thanks to my dad, the clerestory wall is up.

I was hoping to get the coop under roof before I returned to work, but it was not to be. I get to return to work tomorrow and rest up after four 9-10 hour days working on the coop. I did finish the wall framing today except for a little more above the taller part of the coop for the roof. Then I'll be cutting the rafters and get the thing covered up. Hopefully, we won't get too much rain before that happens.



The first thing I did this morning was frame the short, slanted walls.

Then my dad came over and helped get the beam up, which is made out of two 2X10s with 1/2-inch plywood in between.

And the funnest part of the day, getting the clerestory wall up on the main beam. A crane would have been nice to have.

Then I moved onto installing siding on the front wall. The opening is where the pop door will be. That's where the chickens go in and out of the coop. It's rather high because I will be using the deep-litter method in the coop, which means there will be about 8 inches of pine shavings in the coop side and if the door is lower, the shavings would be falling out of the coop all the time.

And last, but not least, I got the siding up on the back wall. The next thing I have to do is frame slanted walls above the taller portion for the roof. Then get the rafters on so I can get the roof installed and keep this thing dry.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a serious structure you're building there! It looks great!

    Have you checked out My Rubber Boots? It's a great blog and she has several chickens as well - fun to watch everyone's progress. Wish we could have them here!

    Her site is: www.myrubberboots.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you can have chickens in N.Y.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/dining/19yard.html

    And hundreds of cities around the country have changed their ordinances in the past few years to allow chickens. Here's some more specific info on N.Y.

    http://www.backyardchickens.com/laws/display.php?State=NY&City=New+York+City&actions=search

    ReplyDelete